Friday 1 October 2010

Aviva Premiership Round 5: Previews and Predictions

Yes, seriously.
I think I must be getting ill.  Why?  Because I'm getting quite excited about the Ryder Cup - and I don't even like golf.  Or so I thought.  Watching a curly-haired Northern Irish boy battle it out with a tainted Tiger at soggy Celtic Manor, Wales, surprisingly looks like it's going to take over my weekend viewing. 

Well, with the big exception of tomorrow night, when I will be at Old Trafford to watch the Engage Super League Grand Final between St Helens and Wigan Warriors.  As a Leeds Rhinos fan it's difficult to support either team, so instead I'm going to support Pat Richards (Wigan) and Jon Wilkin (Saints), the game of rugby league.  And of course, beer.

Therefore, rugby union is taking somewhat of a back seat in my sporting agenda this weekend.  I'm even going to miss tonight's massive derby clash between Bath and Gloucester as I'm going to a gig.  I am recording it though, just in case it's a classic.

Anyway, here are my predictions for this week. 

I think Wasps will come away with a win under the Friday night lights of Edgeley Park, and looking at their current form I expect Bath to win at the Rec.  Quins looked efficient against Exeter in their 40-13 win last week and Newcastle were humbled by London Irish at home so I see that one going Harlequins' way.  The Exiles, currently top of the league, host bottom club Leeds at the Majedski on Saturday in a game that will probably see more one way traffic crashing over the Leeds' try line following last week's 48-6 hammering by  Leicester.  The Tigers will hope to put their injury woes to the back of their minds on their trip to Vicarage Road, where makeshift fly-half Billy Twelvetrees, or 36, needs to get the better of kicking maestro Derick Hougaard.  The Sarries number 10 kicked 55-metre drop goals for fun in last Sunday's 24-17 win over Northampton and controlled the game with ease.  Take note Northampton Saints, with a misfiring Geraghty/Myler you will probably still beat teams like Exeter with ease, but against the big boys and in the Heineken Cup you will have to solve the issues at fly-half if you are to win.  So no pressure for next week  when the HCup rolls into town then...

Sale Sharks v London Wasps: Wasps by 3
Bath v Gloucester Rugby: Bath by 9
Harlequins v Newcastle Falcons: Harlequins by 21
London Irish v Leeds Carnegie: London Irish by 26
Northampton Saints v Exeter Chiefs: Northampton Saints by 16
Saracens v Leicester Tigers: Saracens by 9

No comments:

Post a Comment