Monday 1 February 2010

Man of the Month: February

February brings us the start of the fabulous Six Nations, and February's Man of the Month is a player who I think will have a massive impact in this year's tournament.

There were a few players shortlisted but one player really stood out. 

Courtney Lawes was a big contendor.  He is one of England's young guns and a man I'm hoping to see do much more than spend the majority of the tournament warming the bench.

Then I almost plumped for Jamie Roberts, Wales' brilliant centre.

Of course there's Ireland heroes like Tommy Bowe, Rob Kearney and Jamie Heaslip.  And who can forget Jonny Sexton, the new kid on the block?

Or how about Imanol Harinordoquy, France's excellent back row forward?

Scotland captain Chris Cusiter nearly made the final cut, and I would have gone for Italy's Sergio Parisse if he wasn't ruled out of the tournament with a knee injury.

However there can be only one Man of the Month. 

Whilst I haven't exactly enjoyed a love affair of Mills and Boon proportions with Steve Borthwick, he is my Mr. February.



Why?  Well, I've had a change of heart where Borthers is concerned.  Whilst I don't think he's the man to take England all the way to the World Cup Final next year, he is the England captain and I'm going to get behind him.  Metaphorically speaking, of course.

Borthwick might not be the most dynamic leader on the rugby pitch but he is solid, dependable in the line out and brings a cool head.

If England are to win the Six Nations this year then they'll need both a minor miracle and also plenty of support.  That is why Steve is my Man of the Month.

Please don't let me down now, captain.

No comments:

Post a Comment