Monday 26 October 2009

Scores, Pies and Short Shorts

This week’s round of Guinness Premiership and Magners league fixtures threw up a couple of surprise results, namely Newcastle beating a forlorn looking Bath side down at the Rec and a loss for Leinster who switched places with Ulster at the top of the Magners League table. Still, I predicted 7 out of 11 results correctly which gives me a 63% success rate (if my maths is up to scratch).

(Winners in red, my predictions in bold).

Guinness Premiership:

Bath v Newcastle
Gloucester v Wasps
London Irish v Leicester
Northampton v Sale
Worcester v Harlequins
Saracens v Leeds Carnegie

Magners League:

Edinburgh v Munster
Glasgow v Connacht
Scarlets v Newport-Gwent Dragons
Cardiff Blues v Ospreys
Ulster v Leinster

Whilst my beloved Leeds failed to secure their first win of the season they did come away from Vicarage Road with a well earned bonus point. I didn’t see the game but from all reports the supposed gulf in class between the top and the bottom of the table was barely noticeable. This is definitely a good thing, and hopefully Leeds will take this confidence with them to the Wasps nest next weekend.
(The game against Wasps has a 1:45pm kick off on Sunday and will be shown on Sky Sports).

Sing Hallelujah!

If you have been anywhere near the Morrisons store on Kirkstall Road then chances are you will have heard loud cheers emanating from the pie counter. Yes, this can only mean one thing: Mike MacDonald has FINALLY been granted his visa.


Commenting on this story, Neil Back said:
"If he has kept himself fit, well and injury free then hopefully he will be involved in the Anglo Welsh Cup games in two weeks' time.”
This is excellent news, and I am very much looking forward to finally seeing Mike back in action again, both at the pie counter guzzling the free samples and also on the pitch.


Shortest Shorts

I've noticed that some players take their shorts to a whole new microscopic level, which, quite frankly, is very disturbing.
I first noticed this whilst watching the England vs Wales rugby league game a couple of weeks ago. (I know, I know - it's not real rugby but don't tell my boyfriend I said that).
Something that captured my attention whilst England were tonking Wales was just how obscenely short England stand-off Sam Tomkins’ shorts were. Now usually I’d class this as a good thing and an added benefit of enjoying a game of rugby, however in Sam’s case it all felt just a little bit wrong – probably because he looks about twelve years of age.

Sam is on the left:

Therefore I thought I would see if anyone in the world of rugby union dares to bare so much leg or is occasionally cheeky with the length of their shorts.

Offender number 1 is Leicester Tiger’s Scott Hamilton who I can only imagine spent an inordinate amount of time freeing his microscopic shorts from his arse crack during the game against London Irish.


On the Short-O-Meter I think he deserves a strong 7 out of 10, although that picture is going to give me nightmares for a long time.  Shame on you Scott.

No comments:

Post a Comment