Friday 16 October 2009

A Weekend of Heineken Shorts

I've been looking forward to this weekend since... well since last Sunday night. Last weekend was a full on assault on my liver courtesy of two days and nights drinking minging cider, German beer and vodka as I watched and then celebrated Leeds Rhinos win their third consecutive Grand Final at (boo hiss) Old Trafford.



Anyway, after an exhausting weekend stampeding with the Rhinos I survived a corporate nipple-twisting team building day with work on Monday, so this weekend I am so looking forward to just settling back into my sofa and watching the multitude of Heineken Cup matches on offer.

Tonight I will be sampling the delights of Sale vs Cardiff Blues (or is that Pinks as I've just seen their away kit). I think Sale might just edge past an injury ravaged Blues side who haven't won on their travels yet this season.


Then tomorrow I will drag my sorry arse to the gym in the morning (I haven't been for nearly two weeks now - tut tut) before whacking on the kettle for a nice cup of tea to accompany my viewing of the Brive vs Leinster game where I think Leinster will triumph. (I have to watch this game as Messrs Kearney and O'Driscoll are playing, although watching my top two favourite players isn't my highlight this weekend. Oh no, no, no).
This is because Leeds Carnegie are playing Rugby Parma in the Amlin European Challenge Cup on Sunday and I really think Leeds are going to break their duck this season and win this game. I will be heading off to watch them in the South Stand and will be keeping my fingers well and truly crossed.




Anyway, I thought I might as well have a go at some predictions for this weekend's Heineken Cup fixtures. I am usually pretty useless at this sort of thing so please don't hold me liable if you put any money on these and subsequently lose:

(Winners in bold)

Newport-Gwent Dragons v Glasgow
Perpignan v
Northampton
Sale
v Cardiff Blues

Biarritz v Gloucester
Brive v
Leinster
Edinburgh
v Ulster
Harlequins v Toulouse
London Irish v Scarlets

Bath v Stade Francais
Ospreys v Clermont Auvergne
Munster v Treviso

Viadana v Leicester


In other news I pre-ordered the 'Living with the Pride' behind the scenes documentary of the 2009 Lions tour to South Africa today, so expect a review sometime next week :-) I am hoping for a lot of BOD and Rob Kearney action.

No comments:

Post a Comment